In the rapid pace of today’s modern supply chains, every decision matters. When it comes to software selection, the common “Build” or “Buy” dilemma appears. To choose between these two options, a few parameters may be helpful. Before settling on your choice, consider the following differences and benefits:
- Cost – A “build” solution will entail creation expenses, often translated in hourly wages, which may not be easy to calculate depending on the size of your project. Moreover, building costs seldom include maintenance costs, which can further impact your budget. On the flipside, “buy” solutions come with licensing expenses. Before selecting a “buy” solution, we recommend taking careful note of different licensing requirements since these can add up quickly for simple tasks if calculated improperly.
- Installation – Neither of these solutions are plug-and-play. Built software takes time to be tailored to your specific requirements, and it may need some trial and error before mass deployment. Luckily, because it’s built, your own IT team can manage the installation process. In a similar vein, “buy” solutions will also require piloting to make sure your crucial tasks run smoothly; however, you can get installation -and even training- assistance from your vendor to accelerate the deployment process.
- Risks – While different, both solutions present risks as with most optimization solutions. “Build” solutions require dedication and effort, yet may take time in yielding noticeable results, which can be worrisome depending on how much money was invested. Moreover, building software in an unfamiliar domain can increase risks and costs in the long run. The risks of “buy” solutions lie in the fact that you do not have access to the original source code, so in the event of a malfunction, your operations will depend on outside assistance that may or may not readily respond, leaving you with a vulnerable network.
With these differences in mind, let’s take a closer look at some exclusive benefits to each. To start, “build” software can empower your operations with:
- A customized solution that’s made for your specific pain points
- Easy access to the original source codes for fast troubleshooting
- Greater autonomy to make future changes and cancellations
While “buy” solutions present a different set of benefits such as:
- Easier handling for installation and updates
- Generally faster deployment
- Tech support and growth opportunities depending on the nature of your software
Getting the best of both with Synactive and Zebra
When choosing between “build” and “buy” regarding digitized SAP, CMAC continued to recommend Synactive’s Liquid UI since it combines customizable forms with easy deployment and maintenance. Compatible with enterprise-grade technologies such as Zebra’s rugged handheld computers, Liquid UI secures instant SAP mobility while:
- Eliminating manual data entry as report fields are automatically populated
- Updating and sharing reports in real-time
- Deleting unnecessary fields from your custom forms
- Reducing 75% of errors when paired with Android OS
- Accelerating onboarding due to its user-friendly interface
- Providing quick and reliable technical support as needed
Download our brochure to see how Liquid UI combines with Zebra’s fortified Android to create a uniquely flexible and intuitive software solution.
Still unsure which solution to choose? Contact CMAC today fo